Vubwi District has recorded a second death from Cholera after two weeks of battling the deadly disease.
The 65 year old man of Shanganani village in chief Pembamoyo’s area died after presenting symptoms similar to cholera.
Vubwi District Health Director, Vera Ngaite, confirmed the development stating that the man died on Tuesday.
“He was brought as a Brought In Dead due to delays reaching the facility as the road to his village is impassable to both motorbikes and vehicles,” he said.
The district recorded its first ever cholera case on January 21 this year and has since had 22 confirmed cases so far.
Some residents cited disbelief amongst other members of the community as a driving factor to increasing cases of the disease.
They speculated that some residents questioned the situation because the district has never had an experience with cholera before.
According to them, the death of the first person awakened them to the reality of the situation.
“We never even knew cholera was a thing, we just used to hear of it from far places like Lusaka,” they said.
The residents expressed fear of the scourge despite an ongoing vaccination exercise.